Recent Tweets

February 27, 2010

February 2010 Goals Update

After a very frazzled December and January, I really just needed to regroup and start again. I mean really, I moved two hours away from everything I had gotten used to. And not necessarily because I wanted to. I kind of had to. But that's not the point. The point is, it took me most of January to regroup and figure out just where I was and where I wanted to go. It was time to make a game plan and get moving.

My main goal is to be back in the city I love by the summer. So I'm calling this my semester off even though I'm already done school... But anyways, I want to move into my new apartment by May. All I'm really concerned with right now is having a place to live and being able to pay for it. And maybe some extra money for food and stuff... That means I need to

1)Get a Job - I'm thinking 20k a year would pay for a decent place and not have me starve
2)Find an Apartment - I know I really can't afford to be, but I'm just a tad bit picky. It's my parent's fault.
3)Move

After spending the first week trying to do everything at once I broke each of my main three goals into smaller pieces. Then I made a list of which parts I would tackle first, and those became my February Goals. So here's the progress that I made over the past month.

1) Get a Job

A - Update resume
B - Look for companies to apply to
C - Apply for jobs
D - Follow ups
E - GET HIRED!!!
  • Create Career Notebook - DONE - This will help me keep all of my career info in one place. It's really annoying to forget when I applied to what job and who I talked to on what day. So far, it's a black 3-ring binder with sheet protectors that I shoved all of my papers in. Maybe one day I'll upgrade, but for now, it works.

2)Find an Apartment
  • List areas of the city I would like to live in - DONE - I now have a decent sized list of only where I want to live. This gives me a better idea of how much it will cost to live there (i.e. how much money I need to make) and saves me time that would have been spent searching in the wrong areas
  • List wanted features of apartment I would like to live in - DONE - This means that I can now ask others to help me look for what I want. Nobody will help you look for "a place without bugs" because they have to get your opinion on each individual place they find (a waste of time and not helpful to anyone involved).
3) Move
- Get rid of stuff that doesn't need to get moved and clean out old room
  • Get everything that doesn't belong on the floor of my room either out or off of the floor - FAIL - In fact I think that there might be more on the floor now. But at least the pile no longer includes my clothes.
  • Finish all of my laundry and get all of my clothes into drawers and the closet - DONE - but how does someone who never has anything to wear have so much laundry???
  • Get rid of 28 things - FAIL - but since this is technically a year long goal it doesn't really matter much
  • Set up eBay to sell unwanted items with value - DONE - I also set up a store on Etsy to get rid of all the random craft supplies I managed to find
- Hire movers
- Pack
- Move
  • Pick Move By Date - DONE - I'm going to enjoy my time at home and move to DC on May 1 no matter what. This gives me a bit more incentive to get everything else done.


The rest of my goals for the month were some of my habits for the year

Read a book a month
  • Finish reading February career book - DONE - It really helped me to focus my thinking and come up with a better plan. There will eventually be a book review posted
Exercise and Eat Better
  • Do Situps every MWF - EPIC FAIL - I missed the exact days on the first week, but still got all three workouts in, then missed the whole second week, and the third, and the fourth. I think I was trying to do too much. This may have to wait until I get everything else straight.
  • Run/Walk for 20 mins every TRS - not so epic FAIL - as above missed the whole second week but I did manage to get in a lot of runs
  • Run/Walk 12+ times this month (Nike+ goal) - FAIL
  • Run/Walk 15 miles (Nike+ goal) - FAIL
  • Run 1 mile in under 16 mins 5x (Nike+ goal) - DONE - I actually brought my time down a lot. Apparently all I need to do is run on a consistent basis.
  • Exercise Daily - FAIL - no where close, but at least I got used to exercising again. And now I kinda miss it when I don't do anything
  • Eat Breakfast Daily - SUPER EPIC FAIL - This didn't even make it onto my habit sheet this month. I was failing at getting all of the existing habits under control, so I'm taking a break from adding new ones and focusing on the ones I already have on the list
  • Find and bookmark websites with interesting recipies - DONE - I did one step better and reorganized all of my bookmarks using Delicious. Apparently I already had some excellent sites bookmarked but could never find them because my bookmarks were spread out and stored on my computer, two different email account bookmark lists, and in an online list. Consolidation really helped make everything easier to find.
Set a daily/weekly schedule
  • Set a weekly blogging schedule - DONE - I have noticed that I like writing a weekend update post and a goals update post. I think I will write these each week and write other posts as I feel inspired
  • Blog 3x a week every week - DONE - I'm still working on the exact schedule that I'll be using, but I think I'm going to keep this
  • Update Twitter and Facebook weekly - DONE - Next month I'll be focusing on how to decide what to post where, but updating at all is a plus. Now my friends know I'm not dead.
  • Create Want/Need list of monthly purchases - DONE - This turned into my Stuff Inventory which I will post about later
Take Care of ME
  • Take a half hour bath at least 3 times a week - FAIL - Apparently I will make sure that I am clean, but I will not take the time to relax if I don't set aside time. Next month this is going in the calendar. Showers keep me clean. Clean is essential. Therefore, I do not skip showers. Baths help me relax. Relaxing is essential. Why do I not follow through with these?
  • Washing My Face Every Night - FAIL - Sometimes I did, other times not. I did however notice that I need to adjust my nightly schedule to do this. Splashing water in your face right before getting in bed wakes you up. I do not need to wake up at 11 at night. I need to go to sleep.
For the record:
DONE = 13
FAIL = 8
EPIC FAIL = 1
SUPER EPIC FAIL = 1
Total Goals = 23

18/23 isn't bad, but hopefully I'll do better next month

No comments:

Post a Comment