Recent Tweets

August 09, 2010

15 Minute Decluttering

To weeks later and I'm up to 7 Habits. It looks like this is going to go a lot better than I thought it would. I found this website called FlyLady.net. Pretty much it's a site dedicated to pulling your life together by cleaning. The general idea is that if you start in any area of your home and get rid of stuff you don't need, clear clutter from the areas that seem to breed it, and create small daily routines and habits you will eventually be able to have a clean, organized house. And by having a clean and organized house, you will be calmer, less stressed, more organized, etc. And all of that will help to clear your brain to think about what super interesting, creative stuff and free your time to do stuff other than clean, worry, and trying to remember stuff you should have written down. I really suggest checking out the site. Even if you don't agree with everything she says, you'll see that the system she uses makes sense.

So i stole an idea that I saw on there and also on a few other productivity websites (funny how these guys all think alike isn't it?) and I started to separate my day into sections and group my habits by what needs to happen in those sections. Now I have a morning routine, an afternoon routine and a night routine. 3 lists of habits that need to be done by a certain point in the day.

So now that I've gotten through some of the basic habits that help me get my morning going and one of the nightly habits that makes my mornings easier I'm going to move onto another habit. One that should help me accomplish one of my other goals. That really was the point of adding new habits in the first place after all. (It's easier to accomplish a goal if you can break it down into a daily habit and just focus on that every day)

Anyways, this week's habit is something I picked up off of the FlyLady website.

I'm not doing everything just yet. I'm mainly taking one of the ideas and adding it to my daily routine. 15 minute decluttering sessions. One of the most used quotes on the FlyLady site is "You can do anything for 15 minutes" So this week me and my trusty timer will be on a quest to see just how many things I can check off of my 365 Things list for this year using only 15 minutes at a time. I'm adding new Goals page to the site so you can follow along with my progress. Even if I don't post I'll be checking off my habits in Joe's Goals and updating my 365 Things progress bar which I'm going to reset to zero for the purposes of this 15 minute experiment. I guess we'll see what happens. Anyways, keep checking the Goals page to see how I do, and look for another post later this week with an update.

No comments:

Post a Comment