Recent Tweets

August 10, 2010

15 Minute Decluttering Part II

So yeah, apparently you CAN do anything in 15 minutes. So far I've dumped 108 things.

Here's some stuff that managed to go away this week using only 15 minutes at a time.

- A bunch of old notebooks from high school and college (stuff I'm never going to read again)
- Tons of random receipts for stuff I ate and therefor can never return (who keeps these?)
- A complete series of little kid books (I can read good now so I don't need tiny word books)
- Computer programs that some of my friends need that I don't use anymore
- Costume jewelry that I never wore that came free with something someone bought
- TONS of random fliers for events that happened already

And this is making my room look sooooo much better. There isn't really a before picture so I can't really show you the difference, but let's just put it this way, if I keep up with this I could kill my goal of getting rid of 365 things in less than a month. And I thought it would take all year. So my new goal is not to list each of the 365 things. I think that was part of why I wasn't getting rid of anything. It's a lot harder to keep track of what I get rid of than it is to just get rid of it. So the new goal is to do a 15 minute declutter session everyday for at least a month. There are 4 full months left before the year is over. If I can do 15 minutes for at least half of those days there is no way I'll get rid of less than 365 things. Even if I only got rid of 5 things every time it wouldn't take me that long. Plus I still have crap from elementary school still sitting around in my room. So 365 things is not going to be an issue. I have one more thing on my good habits list, and I'll end up with a MUCH cleaner space. Now I just have to figure out where to attack next. Maybe in my closet, cause clearly that is still a hopeless space...

I'll be in South Carolina for another family funeral later this week, so it doesn't look like my count is going to jump much before the week is over. I think I may just take a break when I get back and pick up on Monday. If I feel really motivated before I leave I may go at the bookshelves again though. Those are pretty easy since I'm not going to read most of that stuff ever again.
Anyways, Monday will be super update date I guess. Funeral stories and decluttering progress should make for an interesting post or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment